About Me

I started this blog to keep track of my kitchen creations. I love cooking and eating. In 2008 I was diagnosed with RA. Food started becoming a huge problem. I needed to find a better way to eat the flavors I love. All the recipes I create are driven by my desire to eat good food that won't create extra pain and inflammation in my internal ecosystem. While the recipes are wholesome, the language is not. I swear. I use the word 'fuck'. A lot! I make no apologies for that. It's just a fair warning. I'm raw and real. Happy cooking! Even happier eating! Cheers! Angie

Friday, August 3, 2012

Super Seeds

Thoughts of fall are sneaking into my head here and there.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm enjoying summer a great deal.  All the green, the frogs and toads int he yard, harvesting things from my garden each day, the heat that we've had.  Love it all!  But every now and then something small happens, like, I get a whiff of something or the sky has a certain look to it and thoughts of fall creep into my head.

Fall is my favorite time of year and one of my favorite holidays is Halloween.  I love everything about it, but mostly the creep-out factor!  One snack I look forward to every year are fresh pumpkin seeds.  It's so gratifying for me.  Carving up our pumpkins, digging out the seeds, cleaning them, roasting them very slowly in the oven over several hours.  The smell permeates the whole house! 

I never knew until recently how good pumpkin seeds are for you.  They're LOADED with good stuff!  Rather than try to type it all for you, read all about pumpkin seeds for yourself!


Another one of my favorite treats is sunflower seeds.  Sunflowers are so big and beautiful.  It's like having the sun right in your garden!  I love planting all kinds of sunflowers but the giant sunflowers are my favorite!  The watching and waiting with anticipation for the seeds to be ready to harvest is just as fun for me as watching and waiting for my veggies to grow.  As a kid, I loved David's brand sunflower seeds.  I'd suck all of the salt off the shell before I broke into it to find the tasty treasure hidden inside.  They are still popular with kids today.  I have to remind my students every year that they are not allowed to eat them in the classroom becuase they have the nasty habit of leaving the shells all over the floor.  Like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds are chock full of nutrients.  Go ahead and read about sunflower seeds  for yourself!





No comments:

Post a Comment