About Me

I started this blog to keep track of my kitchen creations. I love cooking and eating. In 2008 I was diagnosed with RA. Food started becoming a huge problem. I needed to find a better way to eat the flavors I love. All the recipes I create are driven by my desire to eat good food that won't create extra pain and inflammation in my internal ecosystem. While the recipes are wholesome, the language is not. I swear. I use the word 'fuck'. A lot! I make no apologies for that. It's just a fair warning. I'm raw and real. Happy cooking! Even happier eating! Cheers! Angie

Monday, July 29, 2013

Kimchi or Kimchee

Kimchi/Kimchee is a Korean side dish made from various vegetables and seasonings that are fermented.  Traditionally kimchi styles vary by regions across Korea.

Kimchi is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, C, phosphorous, niacin, calcium, & iron.  It also contains non-dairy lactic acid bacteria, one of which is lactobacillus kimchii.  These bacteria aid in digestion.

This is, by no means, the only way to make kimchi.  I found several recipes and settled on adapting one I found from hungry tigress food blog.

PROCEDURE:

Day 1:  Dissolve 6 tablespoons of finely ground sea salt in 8 cups of water.  Cut 1 head of napa cabbage into 1-inch pieces.  Make sure that all the pieces separate.  Place cabbage in a non-reactive bowl.  Pour brine over cabbage and place a plate inside the bowl over the cabbage to keep it all submerged.  Let this sit at least 12 hours or over night.


 
Day 2:  Strain cabbage from brine and set brine aside.  Put cabbage back into the non-reactive bowl.  Add to the cabbage 2 tablespoons of Turkish or Hungarian paprika, 6 sliced scallions or 1 sweet onion sliced, 2 tablespoons of finely minced fresh ginger, and 2 tablespoons of finely minced fresh garlic.  

At this point you can also choose to add other veggies.  I added 2 shredded carrots, 1 rib of celery thinly sliced, 1 kohlrabi root quartered and thinly sliced, 1 fresh jalapeño thinly sliced, and 1 Jimmy Nardello sweet Italian frying pepper thinly sliced.  You can also add daikon radishes and cucumbers.  Mix everything together really well.  It's best to use your hands.


 

Split the veg between 2 quart-sized canning jars or if you have a half-gallon jar you can put them all in there.  Make sure you pack everything down really good.  Pour the brine into the jars just to cover the veg.

 

Now.....Here comes the tricky part.  You have to weight down the veg inside the jar.   You're going to do this with sandwich baggies.  Put a baggie in the opening of the jars.  Fill with brine, carefully squeeze out the air and seal the baggies.  Put any extra brine in a glass jar and save.  You may need it.  Place the jars into a glass bowl incase they drip.  You will not be putting the lids on at this time!  Put the whole thing in a cool dark area.

 

Make sure to check it daily to be sure that the veg is still submerged.  After 3 days check to see if it has soured enough for your taste.  It could take up to 6 days to get the best flavor.

Add brine to the jars, cap, and refrigerate.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment