About Me

I started this blog to keep track of my kitchen creations. I love cooking and eating. In 2008 I was diagnosed with RA. Food started becoming a huge problem. I needed to find a better way to eat the flavors I love. All the recipes I create are driven by my desire to eat good food that won't create extra pain and inflammation in my internal ecosystem. While the recipes are wholesome, the language is not. I swear. I use the word 'fuck'. A lot! I make no apologies for that. It's just a fair warning. I'm raw and real. Happy cooking! Even happier eating! Cheers! Angie

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Raw Almond Milk

I made this today in the blender.  It's super easy!  And it tastes better than the store bought stuff.  You have the ability to make it thicker or thinner by altering the amount of water.

Soak 1 cup of whole, raw almonds in about 6 cups of water for a couple of hours.  Strain and rinse well.  Put almonds in the blender with 4 cups of water and blend for about 5 minutes.  Taste to see if you need it sweeter.  If you do, add a little raw honey or agave or a couple of medjool dates (be sure to take the pits out!)  Reblend.  Strain using a fine mesh sieve or you can use nut milk bags if you have them.  If you want to make more, you can but for the best results, make it in batches of the above recipe so you don't over-fill the blender.  You can also add cinnamon or nutmeg for flavor if you like.

You'll have some left over pulp when you finish. You can do a few things with it.  You can dehydrate it either in the oven or in qa dyhydrator if you have one.  Youc an use it in place of flour in baked goods.  You can also do what I did and put it back in the blender, add about 3-4 cups of cold water, 1/4 cup of cacao nibs, and some agave nectar and make chocolate milk!  I dehydrated the rest of the pulp in the oven after that.

Store in the refrigerator in a glass container.  Canning jars work well.


Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment